Since it's founding in 1981 (as Arlington Center for Dance) BalletNova Center for Dance (BNCD) has earned a reputation as the premier dance training center in Northern Virginia.
BNCD offers year-round classes designed for dancers of all ages and levels, serving over 1900 students per year. Classes include:
- Modern Dance
- Contemporary Dance
- Hip Hop
- Conditioning (Pilates, Stretch, Floor Barre, Dance Cardio)
Housed in a beautiful, 20,800 square foot state-of-the-art facility in Bailey's Crossroads, VA (about 15 minutes from Washington, DC), students enjoy six spacious studios equipped with sprung floors, non-stick Marley overlay, sound systems, high ceilings, and mirrors.
We are proud to have assembled a highly qualified and professional international teaching staff. Washington Dance View has acknowledged our working knowledge of injury prevention and care of the body by stating that, "If you send your children to [BalletNova Center for Dance], you're sending them somewhere where people care about their bodies, and [have a working] knowledge of what young dancers can and cannot do."
At BNCD, we are committed to the traditions started by school co-founder, Kathryn Fredgren: training the "whole student." We believe in treating every dancer with dignity and respect, and we're firmly committed to the belief that the training of all dancers is possible in a caring atmosphere with mutual respect between teachers and students.
From professional dancers to people seeking personal enrichment and exercise, we offer excellent training at all levels. Individualized attention, detailed instruction and correction, and an emphasis on maintaining a healthy approach to the demanding dance disciplines are all hallmarks of our teaching philosophy.
- BNCD is well-known for the excellence of its award-winning Pre-Professional Division, which focuses on ballet as the foundation for all dance, and offers an intensive, focused, year-long program for young dancers. Alumni of the program have gone on to perform with internationally known companies like the Royal Ballet, Dresden State Opera Ballet, Boston Ballet, Pacific Northwest Ballet, and the Sarasota Ballet.
- Our Young Children's Program is designed to allow young children to explore movement through music, develop physical skills, channel energy, and stimulate imagination and creativity.
- BNCD also has classes geared for Youth and Teens seeking enrichment through dance.
- And for adult students seeking a creative outlet and quality instruction, BNCD provides a comfortable yet challenging environment by offering one of the most comprehensive adult class programs in the Metro DC area.